Families are spending an average of 5% more today on weekly groceries than ever before! Parents already know that kids can be expensive but picky eating is often an unexpected cost. Feel like your paycheck might as well be direct-deposited to your grocery store?
Here are 5 tips to slash your grocery bill:
1. Don’t shop without a list.
Making a list and checking it twice will ensure you resist impulse buys and double-buying.
2. Keep an eye on the register. Mistakes at the register are common and costly.
3. Buy generic rather than name brands. Companies spend millions of dollars on marketing to make you have faith in their name brand products. If you compare the generic brans to the brand-name you will often see no notable difference.
4. Log-on and save big. Check your favorite supermarket’s websites for exclusive deals and coupons.
5. Create a path to savings. Grocery shopping is BIG business and lots of money has been spent to make sure customers are “guided” to higher priced items. The highest markup items are generally on the shelves at about chest level; kneel down for cheaper or generic options. And, the main store aisles are usually full of high-priced options.