The sandwich – a lunchbox classic. But this late in the school year the former star of your kiddo’s lunchbox has gone from rave reviews to an echo of boo”s.This sends many moms scrambling to replace the sandwich with a new staple. You don’t need to abandon this lunch favorite.By making some easy modifications can put this lunch favorite back on top.
- Turn It Inside/Out: Exactly as it sounds. Lie lunchmeat on a clean, flat surface and fill the center with favorite fixings – cheese, lettuce, mayo, mustard, tomato, avocado, celery, green pepper, etc. – and roll it up!
- Think Outside the Sandwich “Bored”: Vegetables and fruits are a great, healthy and crunchy alternative for bread. How? Slice an apple into ringlets and smear with pb&j, cottage cheese or cream cheese then stack like a sandwich. Also, cucumbers are great cored and seeded: stuff with your favorite fillings. Small peppers (red, green or yellow) are perfect containers for sandwich goods.
- It’s a Wrap: The world of the wrap has come a long way! There are so many flavors from plain and whole wheat to spinach and tomato. Large lettuce leaves – such as Boston lettuce, are a wonderful crunchy alternative that are a great wrap.
- Taco Tuesday: Ditch the soft bread and put your kiddo’s favorite sandwich fare inside a crunchy taco shell.
- Gorilla Dogs: Does your little monkey love bananas? Try putting a banana in a whole wheat hot dog bun and slathering it with a favorite nut butter or substitute.