Smoothies can be a lifesaver for busy parents and picky eaters! We all want our kiddos to get enough nutrients and protein in their diet every day and smoothies can be an excellent, and convenient, source to make this happen. But you want to make sure your smoothies are nutrient-packed instead of sugar-filled. Here are some excellent additions to consider tossing in the blender along with their favorite flavors to add a nutritious punch:
- Milk- 8 grams of protein per cup, milk is a great choice. If you have a dairy allergy, you can use soy milk, which also has 8 grams of protein!
- Greens – Dark, leafy greens are a fantastic addition to smoothies. And, when combined with fruits, they won’t be noticed!
- Avocado – Not just for your guacamole! The healthy fats in avocado make them a great brain food and the silky texture adds a yummy richness.
- Silken Soft Tofu- Adding 4 grams of protein, the silken soft is a great choice for smoothies (dips and sauces too)!
- Chia Seeds- With 2 grams of protein for just 1 tablespoon, chia seeds are a perfect addition. It also contains fiber and omega 3 fats.
- Peanut Butter – 8 grams for 2 tablespoons makes peanut butter a great source. Almonds are fantastic too!
- TippiTopper – Many feel they need to sweeten their smoothies. If you do, keep it simple. TippiTopper gives you the whole goodness from the fruit without the sugar found in many commercial products. Also great on plain yogurt!