We are pretty restrictive about sweets in our house. My kids don’t handle sugar well and since they are picky eaters a sugary snack can easily take up too much precious tummy space! But, during the holidays, we allow our kids to indulge a bit and that activates their sweet tooth. If you find your kids (or yourself) salivating over sweets here are some healthy and satisfying sweet tooth alternatives.
- Fresh or dried fruits, such as apricots, apples, or pears.
- Unsweetened yogurt mixed with a spoonful of TippiTopper.
- Smoothies made with low-fat milk or yogurt and frozen fruit or TippiTopper. (If you use juice in your smoothies, buy 100 percent fruit juice with no added sugar and give your child no more than 1/2 to 3/4 cup of juice a day.)
- Whole grain banana toast. Spread wheat bread lightly with butter, sprinkle with Banana Bread TippiTopper, and toast it in a toaster oven.
- Graham crackers or rice cakes spread with peanut butter, dark chocolate, or low-fat cream cheese.
- A bowl of hot cereal with TippiTopper or maple syrup on top.